Sunday, November 4, 2012

Beauty Box SPENDING

After Aleksandra shared her beauty sample box annual spending and asked the question, I've been wondering how much I've spent! I've been "at it" for almost 6 months so this is a perfect time to make a total and see if I need to reduce drastically or if I'm in an OK range or what.

So let's see: 


Glymm: 3 boxes, now cancelled = 35.40$
Glossybox: 5 months, now cancelled = 75$
Topbox: 2 boxes (this includes November, the 6th month of my addiction to beauty boxes) = 22.60$
The Natural Beauty Box (paid for October which glitched and will end up being November and bonus December) = 21$
Sweet Delight Divalicious (September) = 26$
Julep: 3 boxes paid + add-on = 65$
Ipsy (will get November) = 14.95$

TOTAL: 259.95$ for 6 months


I'm not terribly upset with this amount but it's still a lot for what we could say are samples and random products I didn't flat-out choose. To think I've spent 65$ on Julep when I would not have chosen most of the colours I got and I probably would be happier with 5 colours that I really love and chose myself rather than 10 that I just got from the box. I still feel I got really good value out of Julep because of referrals and products that came with boxes which I use more than the polishes themselves. I also feel I got good value out of all the other boxes and I don't regret any of them, I'm just feeling like it's a little too much to have spent on samples. 

Now that I've been getting these boxes for a little while, I've been able to try a lot of different brands and a lot of products I didn't normally use at all like certain make ups, primers, more natural brands, some high end brands, lots of nail polishes, even hair products.

Overall, I've been having a great experience with the beauty boxes but I definitely want to be keeping my next 6 months way under 259$! If I keep Topbox and Ipsy for those 6 months, I'll be around 175$ which is reasonable. Knowing this in advance, I know that I'd be OK buying one extra box like Sweet Delight or Natural Beauty Box or a soap box, but NOT subbing to BB5 like I've been thinking, unless I unsub from one of the other two. It's really nice to plan in advance, now I just need to stick to it! 

10 comments:

  1. I don't even want to calculate this because I know I'll be way over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREEDD!! It's almost a year now... I'm scared to calculate, but I'm also curious. But what puts me at ease is that I know that the value of the product is so much more than what I paid for!

      Delete
  2. Interesting, but I guess part of the cost might be getting a surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true. Beauty boxes are a whole experience and there's definitely a value for the experience itself of getting these things, having a cute box, all nicely wrapped, the surprise of not knowing what's in it before opening, the excitement.

      Delete
  3. You guys are scaring me with these posts LOL I really really don't want to know what I spend on beauty boxes this past year. I know its well above your total but hoping that once December (my birthmonth) is over that I can start cancelling some and bringing that total down some.

    I am on the fence about BB5 we will see in the new year how that goes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a decent box but with ipsy and Topbox I'm not at all ready to unsub one of them for BB5. I just started with them!

      Delete
  4. great post candice! i broke down and subscribed to BB5 today in anticipation of cancelling glossybox in the next few months. i'm going to do this calculation soon but i'm a little apprehensive about what the total will be! i do enjoy receiving beauty boxes though and i love trying all the different products so i don't have plans to scale down too much, regardless of what my number is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that if you can afford it and if you have a good experience, then it's worth it!

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh!! lol :) It's such a scary number and adds up quick right? :) Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete