Sunday, September 9, 2012

Need Clarification

I was checking out both my Maybelline BB and my Marcelle BB and trying to see what the differences were. I'm not very good with ingredients so I found myself trying to see in the dark. I figured I could post and hope for a knowledgable reader to help me out!

First,

Is there a difference between oil-free and non-cosmedogenic? Are all oil-free products cosmedogenic and can you have a non-cosmedogenic product containing oil? Is it a difference in tests?

Second,

What ingredients would a product have to contain for it to promote skin rejuvenation? Is that the same as exfolation with AHA's?

Third,

When a product meant to be put in very thin coats contains SPF, is the SPF fully active in that thin coat or can they market it as SPF 30 even if it's only SPF 30 when it's put on in a regular thicker coat? (For example  the Maybelline BB or other BB creams with SPF)

Fourth,

What are adaptive pigments? How do pigments adapt to our skin?!

3 comments:

  1. hmmm these are very hard questions and i can only answer a few! thought i'd give it a shot anyway...
    oil-free is essentially products that do not contain oil; non-comedogenic are products that do not clog pores

    and for regular sunscreen, in order to get the SPF indicated, you would have to apply it as if you are icing a cake which is a very thick layer - so no i do not think that applying BB creams would provide the full SPF

    im waiting for others to answer your other questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen's right about the difference between oil-free and non-comedogenic. So when it comes to sunscreen, zinc oxide is comedogenic and may clog pores while titanium dioxide (Maybelline BB) is non-comedogenic. Titanium dioxide is not broad spectrum though so it does not cover the UVB part of the spectrum while zinc oxide covers UVA and UVB.

      "Skin Rejuvenation" in the cosmetic world can mean a couple of things. It can mean exfoliation, but it depends on the context of the product. If it's a scrub, then that's probably what it means, but if it's the BB Cream/Foundation it could mean protecting skin cells against oxidation (aging) and so would have vitamin C and E derivatives or it could have yeast (Saccharomyces) extracts to promote cellular regeneration. My review on Benefit's new foundation has yeast in it and I explain what the ingredients are intended to do if you want to have a peek!

      For the "adaptive pigments" part, I'd need to see the ingredients since the term is vague. Usually, I have to look at the ingredients first and work backwards since for some reason I tend to remember the biological functions more easily once I see the name of the chemical.

      Delete
    2. I was hoping you'd come to my rescue Jayne! :)

      If I understand correctly, a cream *could* be oil-free and market itself that way but NOT be non-comedogenic if for example it had an ingredient like zinc oxide it in?

      I will head straight to your review of the Benefit foundation to learn more about ingredients and anti-aging. Thanks so much for your help!

      Delete