Monday, August 13, 2012

What the heck, Glymm?? (August bag review)

I got my Glymm bag today, which is really on time and everything, and that's something to appreciate about Glymm. What struck me when I grabbed the box was how light it was... Hmm... Let's see what was in the textured black Glymm bag: 


A miniature sample that hardly exists it's so small, of Benta Berry G-1 face cream. This 3ml sample of face cream is the feature product of this box if you can believe it, they've been teasing it for a week!

It smells nice and seems fine from the tiny bit I put on my hand but I'll try it fully tonight. When someone on Facebook figured out that this was the product they were making us guess, I looked into it and found out that people in the USA got it in their Birchbox and saw that it was 3ml so I was expecting this tiny sample, though I was hoping for much more.

Sample: 3ml worth 2.20$


Nume conditioner... It's weird to get a conditioner sample without a shampoo and it's really not exciting especially since it's not a new discovery, having seen it in other boxes. I haven't tried this product before though so I'll give it a go on my daughter's hair for sure and see how it goes.

Sample: 20ml worth 2.00$


I didn't even know they could put a gloss in a sample this size... how completely weird! The size of the sample is a disappointment but the product itself is interesting. They say it stimulates collagen and is slightly plumping. Their philosophy for this product is that the gloss should be luxurious AND healthy and I like that.

I tried it and it is completely non-sticky and actually even tastes good! It's not very pigmented at all but that's not a down side for me. It would be easy to put on quick-quick with no mirror and still looks lightly glossy and coloured. It's something between gloss and balm but for me it's closer to a balm so I find it overpriced even if I like it. 

Sample: 0.008 oz (0.24ml) worth 2.08$


Mai Couture blush sheets, 2 of them. I don't really know how to use this so I'll see what this gives. It's interesting but again, very small sample. 2 sheets is good for 2 applications of blush I'm guessing? Regular blush can last a person like a year so a 2 day supply is a bit pittiful even for a sample.

Sample: 2 sheets worth 0.70$


This is the sample of the Vitamine and Sea mineral clay masque and it's the sample I'm most looking forward to trying. I imagine I'll get 2 uses out of this but it'll depend on the product and how well it can be spread on the face...

I put my finger in this and it's definitely clay! Very thick and the first ingredient is Organic Dead Sea Mud. Does anyone know what might make Dead Sea Mud not organic? Anyway.

Sample: approx. 6ml worth approx. 1.77$ 
This is just based on my best guess for the amount in there.

NO PICTURE OF THE SAMPLE-VIAL OF 
ATELIER COLOGNE PERFUME

Last product is the sample of perfume. I'm just not happy at all to get samples of perfume like this. These are the same types as we get for free at a department store and considering I don't wear perfume, it's completely worthless for me to try different brands that they might not sell here. I haven't tried any of the ones they DO sell here! That said, I do like the postcard they send and what's written behind it.

The scent is called Vanille Insensee and they set the scene:
"He wove through the crowd when suddenly his heart quickened. That scent. It was hers. He had worn it first until she stole it for herself. Now, there she was before him and the magc of years past came flooding back in a moment."

The quote in French really gives a better picture than the English... In the French one, his heart got overwhelmed, the scent was not her's, it was HER. It makes no mention that he wore that perfume before her, only that she'd stolen it from him which does give this impression but adds a bit of mystery somehow. He didn't find her before him, they found *each other* one in front of the other...

Sample: approx. 1ml worth approx. 1.25$ 
(price for perfume varies so much per ml based on the size of the bottle)


TOTAL BAG WORTH: 10$

See why I named this What the heck, Glymm?? This is worth less than what we paid for it! Or worth exactly what we paid for it if we put another 2 bucks in for the bag. 

Let's just say I'm cancelling... I've already paid for September which I am fine with because I do want to see what's in the next month's bag since I really loved last month's bag a lot and I will have enough time to sign back up if September awesome. It's like a no-lose cancellation for me... But it's one that can help send out a message to Glymm if others are cancelling too, which I'm sure they will be.



Here's a look at the lot of tiny samples that I got in this month's Glymm bag:


22 comments:

  1. Hey, at least you didn't get the laundry stuff! lol

    By the way, I live in the same city than you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the Benta berry product they have been teasing it and i believe it the picture it actually showed a 30 ml tube so if they would of given us that it would have been really good. Also they say the bag is worth $12. If i seen this bag in a store i wouldn't pay more then maybe $3 for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they showed the full size product and even if we got the full size I don't think it would've been such a good bag. At least it would've been worth more than the amount we paid for it which isn't something we can say now. You're right, I wouldn't pay more than like 3$ and even then I'd probably leave it there.

      Delete
  3. what the heck! I didn't get the Nume conditioner?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some people got detergent instead?

      Delete
    2. oh right. i did get the detergent. but now i see that some other people got full sized nail polish? WHAT THE HECK!

      Delete
    3. Yeah, super annoyed about the disparity between bag versions this month. I just sent Glymm an email to complain. It would be one thing if everyone got a different sample item, but for one group of people to get a full-sized product? Totally unfair!

      Delete
  4. wow that is pretty pathetic! I hate Nume products and wish beauty box companies would just stop giving them out all the time! In other news, this is my favourite makeup pouch as of yet!!

    Check out my LippyGirl Blusher giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I actually liked the conditioner when I tried it on my daughter but conditioner is a seriously boring product to get.

      Delete
  5. SUPER disappointed in this box. The blush sheets I got are an unusable colour, and I got the laundry detergent instead of the conditioner. I didn't care for that conditioner when I used it before, but I am NEVER going to use this detergent. The only thing I was remotely pleased with was the lip gloss because it's a good size to have in my purse. Otherwise, this bag is a huge letdown

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't received my box yet, still in transit. But I did get my product card. LOL. I guess it is nice to know what I am getting. The bag does look cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your comment about the Benta Berry cream is so funny and so true! i saw those sneak peeks too and this is one of the tiniest sample i've ever seen.
    just so you know, Glymm specializes in small samples.
    i felt the same way when i get conditioner w/o shampoo! it's missing a friend :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't like the emailed product card at all... I got mine after researching into the products and you got your's before you even got your box... They were pretty well organized though in getting me the right card for the box that I got.

    Helen: I'm starting to "get" that about Glymm but really last month was great! They were pretty small samples but not nearly as tiny as this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where's the product card? Isn't it here: http://myproducts.glymm.com ??? but the site is not working?? UGHH.

      Delete
  9. i clicked on your blog by accident before getting my bag so i was really worried. i didn't see any of the products though, just the title of your post and the black makeup bag. i was surprised when i got mine today because i was pretty happy with it... after doing some more research, it appears i lucked out because i got the nail polish bag. i've already received the nume conditioner in the past and also the atelier cologne (which many subscribers received) so maybe that's why i got a different bag? anyway, that's a bummer - it's pretty ridiculous that the value of your bag was even less than the subscription price. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got the polish and that you loved it so much. Sometimes an item can really make the bag. If the gloss sample was 4-5x bigger that could've done it for me.

      Delete
    2. Couldn't agree more, a full-sized (or even half-sized!) gloss would have totally saved this bag for me!

      Delete
  10. I know it was really light! I had the same thought too when I grabbed mine out of the box. This was my first Glymm bag, I did a post on my blog onyxandmick.blogspot.ca Ever the optimist, I hope next month is better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't get one full-sized product in my Glymm bag which is a bit of a let-down...the people that got the nail polish definitely received the better bag!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't get blush sheets or the conditioner, but I did get the conditioner in another bag I received earlier.
    I actually really liked the conditioner. It made my hair super soft!

    I got foundation sheets and clear brow gel instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was clear brow gel in some of the bags. I guess that's interesting!

      Delete